• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere blew my macbook pro speakers

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new 2 month old 15" MBP. I Was working on a project, macbook volume was about on half, when suddenly an audio bug occurred with really loud screatching noise and not letting me pause it. After it stopped, the speakers were really quiet, and after the next restart they're clearly blown. Initially I blamed the hardware, though the same thing happened a day later with my Sony 1000X-M3 headphones, luckily the headphones are ok, but that did give me a heart attack.

The situation is not ok, I am not happy. Adobe customer care chat is ridiculous.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

Processor: 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB; Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Hi Adobe Community,

UPDATE: Adobe had a small number of user reports about an issue in Premiere Pro that could affect the speakers in the latest MacBook Pro. Adobe has released a patch via the Creative Cloud app to help address this issue. Please update to 13.0.3. 

Thank you,

- CM

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 202 Replies 202
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Macbook Pro is only a couple months old, Apple should repair the speakers for you at no charge (although you'd have to check with them). I just purchased a 15" Macbook Pro myself (this weekend), so if you can think of anything specific that led to the audio screeching, I'd like to know what it is! Same footage/same point in the timeline? Or just a random thing?

Although we're not officially Adobe here, there are some Adobe people who visit on occasion. If you can narrow this down to "when ___ happens, the screech sound appears," it should definitely be reportable as a Premiere bug.

Without more details, it will be hard to pinpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can not re-produce, happened at random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just blew my speakers (Macbook Pro 15" 2018) on Adobe Premiere. They are permanently Damaged. I was using the Adobe Premiere 2019 Audio suite for background sound and while tweaking the settings it made a loud distorted noise that hurt even my ears. after that my speakers are unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That happened to me as well.  Both times I put a song in the timeline and went to adjust the volume and it made a horrible loud noise and blew my speakers. I couldn’t mute it or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also had the same problem. I was editing files, a very simple video, doing a sound effects pass and it blew out my speakers and now nothing sounds good. Boooooooo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe had me check the audio hardware settings.  Under the default input they changed it from Mac microphone to no input.  They said that was why I blew my speakers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also did that and thought I would be good, but it did it again within 1 minute again. Scared the crap out of me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't make much sense to me and doesn't change the fact that the speakers are damaged. Who's fault is this tho anyway? Apple or Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I just bought a 15" 2018 Macbook Pro last week and it has happened twice in Premiere Pro. I am not easily startled but this scared the s#!+ out of me. The first time it made a loud snappy pop sound and the audio stopped working. The second time it made a terrible distorted sound at full volume, even though my volume was very low, every time I tried to playback a clip with audio. I immediately quit Premiere and went to youtube via chrome and the audio played as normal. So freaking weird. This has only happened when using the built-in speakers. Has anybody had this issue with headphones on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I've heard about this too, with the 2018 models. Apparently it happened because an effect was applied to the audio clip while it was still playing. Perhaps Adobe should disable playback when the user does this, just in case.

I'm suspecting it's something to do with Apple's audio card/drivers, because there's been other issues with a few 2018 MacBook Pros that I've seen too. I've had it happen through my headphones (which is likely a health issue) but luckily it only blows out speakers if the headphones aren't plugged in. Watch out for blowing out your expensive reference monitors though.

My only other hunch is that Premiere Pro is the problem. It hasn't been able to automatically change the Audio Hardware settings when headphones are plugged in and out, because Apple's audio driver system has changed (I believe). If there's a weakness between Premiere and Mac OS then the blame falls onto Adobe here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me. Brand new 15" MBP (2018). Editing a clip in Premiere. Had been using bluetooth earphones, but then shut them off. Came back to Premiere after a bit, hit spacebar, and got the awful noise. Hit space bar immediately to stop. Music track had "music" attribute applied to it. Was not doing any input. Speaker volume, when tested with Spotify/iTunes was very quiet. Reset nvram, speakers back to normal volume, but rattle coming from right side. Extremely upset. Currently on assignment in India, so hope I'm not up a creek. Not sure who's responsible, but this one is pretty unacceptable. Really bummed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply from Adobe Sr.Tech Support Consultant:

I read the forum post that you provided us, as of now we don't have any problem/known/trending issue with Macbook Pro speakers.

But, I would like to explain you the problem.

Premiere Pro is a self-destructive software when it comes to crashes.

The software like any other software is also dependent upon the OS/Hardware requirements.

If anything in the OS/Hardware is faulty then a potential problem would come across.

Let me share an example related to such a case:

Hence, when you encounter a crash then the application would shut down.

The application is GPU (Graphic Card) dependent, so if there is anything wrong in the Software/Hardware of the GPU hence the crash would be a bit extreme that would be resulting "(A black screen shutdown/restart).The problem here is not with Premiere Pro but the Graphic Card. Premiere Pro basically was the source/reporter through which the user would get to know there is an issue with the Graphic Card.

I believe something like this has happened from the application where there is a faulty module in the OS/Hardware specifications of the Macbook Pro resulting into the problem you have.

Upon that, have you contacted Apple yet regarding this problem, or have they run a full diagnostics of the problem to conclude the result out?

Upon detection itself, they should determine that the problem would be in the Hardware/OS issue and that problem came in witness when an Application dependent upon the module came in action.

I would also encourage you to read this article: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/08/2018-macbook-pro-crackling-speakers-reports/

This is one of the articles I have found online where users who are using applications such a browser, Media Player where the problem had surfaced in.

The problem basically is not with the "web browser or the media player" its basically the reporter of the problem that some issue has occured post the interaction.

I would conclude this mail but apologizing the inconvenience you must have had during this problem, but the problem has surfaced via the hardware according to us.

I also have reported this problem to the engineering team who also share somewhat a similar opinion on what potentially is the problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spoken with an authorized Apple service technician here in New Delhi

and we are scheduled to run diagnostics on Monday. My only concern is

getting the hardware fixed and ensuring that it doesn't happen again,

regardless of whether it is Apple or Adobe at fault. Assuming there's no

issue in getting it fixed, so long as the root cause is addressed and

doesn't happen again, all good. Understood your response, though there is

absolutely no way at two-month-old $3000 computer along with state of the

art creative software should have a problem of this magnitude and

inconvenience for the customer. So, currently still pretty upset, but

hoping that things get resolved with as little inconvenience as possible.

As for the crackling speaker, I read up on that yesterday and am confident

that that issue is separate from this. In my case, I definitely have a

blown speaker as a result of a glitch that occurred when using Premiere

that caused my system to make an indescribably loud "feedback" type sound.

Thank you for your response. I'll keep in contact through the repair

process should further details from Adobe be required.

Best regards,

Elliott Asbury

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 9:03 PM andripeetso <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you and I agree that these issues are separate, as I experienced the same issue as you my speakers were definitely blown as well. I will get my laptop back from apple on monday - hopefully fixed. However, I do not know what steps to take to prevent this from happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck!! And let me know your result. Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me. Same exact thin. Scheduled a call with Apple for tomorrow. Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me a couple weeks ago.  Definitely an Apple hardware issue, though they are still dodging the issue.  No way hardware should allow software to damage it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact thing happened to me.  Brand new 2018 15” MBP using Premiere Rush.  I clicked “reduce background noise” before hitting play on a clip and it let loose the loudest noise that physically blew my speakers.

Been an Apple and Adobe user for 15 years and have never seen anything like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Really scared. I was working on Premiere Pro editing with my mac pro 2018(pro vega20) (3Pro!!!!!) and I worked with really small volume cause it was in the middle of dawn. Whatever,when I hit space,A VERY LOUD freaky sound was made from the top- right side of macbook(so I made a guess that it was from the charger or touch bar but it might be not).It sound like 50 times bigger of tape rewinding, or electiricity. I was really frightened.

Now,after a day of accident my speaker seems okay yet,but worried if something damaged in my laptop. I hasn't been a month buying it and I wanted to keep my macbook safe and clean.. Oh my god!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thing happen to me. 

MacBook Pro, 2018, Radeon Pro Vega 20 4080 MB, RIDICULOUSLY expensive...

I simply clicked on the "Enhance Speech" check box while the clip was playing and the loudest sound possible blasted out of the speakers.  Now the right speaker is damaged.  Great. 

Unacceptable for a pro machine this expensive and a piece of pro software that I pay monthly for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same spec MacBook as the OP. I was editing a simple video and went to clean up the audio in the audio tab and like everyone else the playback was at max and completely blew out the speakers. I could even smell an electrical burning smell. I took it to apple the next day and they sent it out to be repaired under warranty (awesome on their part.)

I got the laptop back a few days ago, and everything was fixed. Still weary this could happen again, I kept the volume on my laptop low and didn't mess with the audio tab. The only modification I made was a 3db volume adjustment. About 20 minutes ago it happened again and although I stopped it immediately, the right speaker is now blown out.

This is ridiculous, I don't know who's fault this is, but it needs to be fixed. I edit on this laptop for school, work, and personal use. Between the three there is no room for downtime. Someone is dropping the ball here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Ive commented a while back where this has happened twice to me already. Now, I always use external speaking and I always turn them OFF before I change any kind of audio, which sucks.  I have paid good money for both the macbook and the entire suite, there should be no reason why this is still a problem. That's my rant. I talked to adobe and all they could think of was that it is  my audio hardware setting that messed it up. They had me change my default input to no input and assured me that the problem was solved I don't know if it has fixed the problem or not cause I always use external speaking when editing videos now.  If anyones speakers have blown and their default input was on "no input" please share on the form I would love to know if this really did fix the problem.  Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.35.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the consumer protection on this issue?  At what point does it become a legal issue?  Apple and Adobe blaming each other, or playing dumb.  $7,000 computer for me.  Nothing more than the option to repair it, with no solution for the root cause, and no protection after warranty expires.  It has happened more than once to some here.  Everyone here has a 2018 MacBook Pro with the new speakers... sure seems like Apple is to blame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines