• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: V8.0 iOS local storage

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the upgrade to Lightroom iOS 8.0 on an iPhone 13 Max Pro, even though all images were previously  stored locally in full size, on first app  run it said it needed to do some "housekeeping" and reindexing, and suddenly now needs to re-download thousands of images (that were previously there, locally, full size). Furthermore, and to make things worse, it seems to be stuck and there is no progress in the sync/download count. The same is happening on my iPad. There should be no need to re-download the albums/images to local storage, and this never happened in previous upgrades.

Why is this happening?

Ideas?  Solutions?

Idea Released
TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Greetings all, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Monday night, December 12th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @emoof 

Thanks for reaching out to us.  While we try to reproduce this problem to investigate further, let me sk some questions to try and understand your sync problem.

Where does the sync status show?  Are you talking about how sync status us described when you tap on the cloud icon at the top of the app?  Or are you talking about Store Locally sync % shown on your store locally albums?

If it's your store locally albums that are affected, do any of these albums have video inside?  We're working on a fix for the next release where videos inside albums stop Store Locally from completing sync.  For now the workaround is to remove videos from Stored Locally albums.

If the problem is some kind of more general sync problem, try signing into your same account at lightroom.adobe.com in a web browser.  Do you see a "Sync Issues" album?  If so, what kind of problems are mentioned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my iPad, MacBook and iPhone to the latest release version and I have no problem with either the iPad or the MacBook.

The iPhone on the other hand is continuously syncing with 9 pending? But I have all files locally?

If I click on the cloud icon it says "Storing Album Locally 9 pending"

But it never stops syncing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a video in the album you are storing locally?  There is a known issue the team is fixing now that has this never ending sync behavior when a video exists in a stored locally album.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,  no videos, just a few photos that had not synced (well actually they have and stored locally). It means that I can no longer use the iPhone as it's constantly syncing and using bandwidth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my bad😀 Your mention of video files got me thinking so I checked and sure enough I do have 9 videos which are synced and stored locally on the iPad and Macbook but they are no longer local on the iPhone I can't even play them!

Is there a fix for this? for the time being I have just paused icloud sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response!

To answer the question in your second paragraph - this appears in both the sync status that appears when you tap the cloud icon, and in the store locally sync % for all the individual albums. I'll try to attach a couple of screenshots.

Yes, it is the Store Locally (in full size on my iphone - I have enough space), and yes, I believe all these albums have videos in them (I didn't check every last one but that seems to be the case). The weird thing is that before the upgrade all these albums were synced with full size local version, and now the local versions seemingly disappeared and need to be re-downloaded.

Moving the videos out of the albums is currently not an options for me as there are too many albums with too many videos. My workflow is that as I much prefer LR's photo/album management to that of iPhotos,  I import all photos & videos from the iphone camera roll to LR and mostly delete them in the camera roll, fully depending on LR.

I hope an updated LR CC with a fix comes out soon! (and videos should also be downloaded/synced in full)

Thank You!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the iPhone 13 Pro Max and have exactly the same problem as you albeit only with nine videos which like yours were locally stored before the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it caused all albuns that had videos in them to require re-downloading of the entire album, photos included, and also the entire sync/re-download is stuck on all of them, including photos (i.e. it is not just the videos that are stuck - the entire alcbum, photos and all previously there is stuck)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again @Dave… 

Yes, the team is actively working on a fix for the next release.  For now, alternatives are to leave out videos from albums that you want to Store Locally.  For albums that do not have Store Locally enabled, or when browsing your overall library of files, videos do upload, and download for playback, editing, and export.  Troubles are limited to Store Locally albums.

Edit: let me add that I have personal albums of my own where I do want both photos and videos, but I have also wanted to edit photos while offline using Store Locally.  My solution was to create a new album, and copy just the photos there for offline editing.  After syncing, my edits will show for the same images as they appear alongside videos in the other album that I've already shared with friends & family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

Thanks for the explanation, took me almost the day to troubleshoot.

Even uninstalled LR Mobile on iPad and iPhone and got always in stuck syncing Storing Albums Locally since the upgrade.

Thanks to your post I realized that only Albums with Videos are affected.

Looking forward to the update. Hope it will be an intermediate one within the next days and not in next regular update in a month or so.

Most of my Albums containing Video and Photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @emoof 

I consolidated similar threads here.  I understand moving videos out of an album is not an option. How about:
create a new album, and copy just the photos there for offline editing.  After syncing, edits will show for the same images as they appear alongside videos in the other similar album.  After the issue is fixed, then clean out the redundant albums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion!  Hoping that the fix will come soon, I will for now just wait it out. It currently is for me less an issue of editing photos; more that I like LR's album management and want to know that all is fully sync'd and available on my iPhone at all times, also so i can remove from camera roll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's happening on my Ipad Pro as well😢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes me dread the upcoming update on Android. Having to babysit thousands "locally stored" photos for redownload as it probably still wont do it in background on its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Wurstkrapfen 

To my knowledge, LR Android is not affected.  iOS and Android apps are developed by different teams, using different coding frameworks.  Expected behavior should be the same, but issues seen on one platform do not necessarily exist on the other platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an "ALL PHOTOS ALBUM" which has all my 80k pics and videos in it. This was suggested to me on the LRQ forum as a way of having smart previews for everything on my 2TB iPad. It worked well until recently I noticed I had 611 pending in the ALL PHOTOS ALBUM. Tried lots without success then was pointed here by Jum Wilde on the LRQ forum.

For me the workaround is easy. I have moved all 611 videos out of ALL PHOTOS ALBUM into ALL VIDEOS ALBUM, and now the ALL PHOTOS ALBUM is steadily downloading all the smart previews. 
When the bug is fixed I can move them back again.
Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an "ALL PHOTOS ALBUM" which has all my 80k pics and videos in it. This was suggested to me on the LRQ forum as a way of having smart previews for everything on my 2TB iPad.

Just to clarify, the All Photos Album has no purpose except to make it easy to download smart previews for the whole library with a single click. I have 650 working albums which organise everything.

"Jum Wilde" is of course Jim Wilde....couldn't find a way to edit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to echo experiencing the same issues as well. Any album with a video blocks all other albums (storing locally) from proceeding.

> Devices: both on iOS16 and iPadOS16

> Troubleshoot procedures done: Logout and login. Reinstall app. Clear cache. Toggling between Smart Previews and full.

> Context: Ample storage space on both devices. Wifi speed is 500mbps down. An album is ~30-50GB. Left syncing overnight.

> Cannot reproduce in macOS Ventura

Would've been workable if the videos just don't store at all but when I try to store multiple albums, even if the other albums only had photos, one album with a video will block the whole process. That leads to thousands of photos unable to store locally.

Please fix, as it's the only thing blocking me from having a mobile and offline workflow 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Mobile for iOS seems to hangs on Uploading Original.

s.Screenshot:

739CF806-4C9C-45ED-8C0E-3ED46F8E4671.jpeg

Seems 8.0 is somehow buggy. Already removed all videos because of this know issue.

Has anyone faced same issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. 

Do you mean Lightroom mobile version 8 or iOS version 8? As I see you are working with HEIC files, can you tell us where they are located? The images are taken using which camera? Do you see the same behavior with JPEG files? 

We're here to help, just need some info.

Thanks,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe team: thanks for your prompt and detailed replies! However, as some of us with numerous albums, photos, and videos are at this pont pretty much dead in the water for the last few weeks (at least insofar as our workflow) and at this point put everything on hold as we can't continue using LR CC on iOS - is there an estimated ETA for a fix to this issue? it would be helpful to have some idea and plan around that. Every day I check the iOS app updates hoping LR will be there, but alas... 😥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@emoof 

Confidentiality rules prevent employees from sharing schedule details.  I can tell you the team is actively working on a fix.

For now, I can only suggest a workaround which is to create one or more albums with only images you wish to store locally, so that you can temporarily disable store locally on current problem albums. Images you edit in the functioning store locally album will also show edits in all other albums and also All Photos where the same image can be seen.

Once the fix is released, then you can re-enable store locally for any album you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael, how do you manage to move them? I don't have an optiont to move them only add to?

Dave...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I face this issue even with albums containing no videos at all.

It's stored locally on my iPad but on the iPhone 1 photo is pending to get stored locally.

mare there any other know issues for storing locally beside videos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget that, figured it out😀

Votes

Translate

Translate